FRY UP OR "CHUCK IT IN THE PAN"

I guess this really does have to come first in the list as there is nothing more traditional than the Old English Fry-up and I believe I have got this to purrrrrfection. My taste buds have been activated just by writing this.


Key to this has got to be fried bread, crispy bacon and egg. I must admit when they are in the fridge I chuck in a tomato, sausage and mushrooms. Depending on how hungry we are, I often put in thinly sliced potatoes or mashed potato from the previous days leftovers.

There is nothing better (other than sex) than the smell of a morning fry-up wafting around the house until the smoke alarm goes off.

I have read some famous cook books by TV chefs that suggest you can use a microwave for bacon and mushrooms. This is sheer damn heresy and the only thing you need is a frying pan and oil. Personally I prefer Olive oil and that's not for health reasons, I simply like the added flavour it gives. With regards to the type of bacon and sausage, I really don't think it matters - it's just what you like or what's in the fridge.

Let's assume we are going for the "Full Monty" this is the order it's put in the pan. I have the oil on quite low to start as I prefer things cooked slowly.

Sausages in for 5 or 6 mins then add
Sliced potatoes  (the idea is that they don't come out as chips) in for 5 minutes then add
A slice of bread (unhealthy white tastes better) turn heat up a bit and remove bread when cooked.
Add bacon, mushrooms and tomato and leave for 5 minutes cooking.

Break the egg into the pan and flip over as necessary..............  Bon apetite

If you are using mashed potato put it in very last thing and wind up the heat in the pan (After serving the rest) and burn the underside of the potato so it's got a crust - that's mouth watering.

If you are out to impress someone with this, open the sausage from end to end and put in a little mustard mixed with honey - great flavour.